It’s hot, It’s spicy, it’s sweet and It’s just right!
If you’re anything like me chocolate and chilli are a match made in heaven, the dense and bold aromatic flavours of cocoa combined with the warming sensation of chilli is a fierce Combo. Spiced hot chocolate is where the magic happens. Perfectly sweet, creamy and warming for cold days.
Instead of using ordinary milk I decided to make a vegan friendly option with coconut milk. Coconut mils is naturally rich on fat so it made the spiced hot chocolate creamier without the need for cream. If regular milk is what you have on hand/prefer, it works just as well. So feel free to substitute the coconut milk.
- 1 Tsp Cocoa Powder
- Pinch of Cayenne pepper
- Fresh Ginger (Grated)
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 250ml Milk
- 1 & 1/2 Tsp Brown Sugar to taste
- 1 Drop Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
- Whipped cream
- Bring 1/2 a cup of water to the boil then add in spices and boil for about 3 mins.
- Reduce the heat, then add in the coconut milk, cocoa powder and a pinch of cayenne.
- Continue to boil on a Medium – low heat for about 3-5 mins. Whisking occasionally to create a creamy drink.
- Turn of the heat, stir in vanilla then sieve the hot cocoa straight into your favourite mug.
If you do give this recipe a go be sure to leave me a comment & rating to tell me what you think. Don’t forget to tag me on my socials @dinewithjemutai using the #DinewithJemutai so I can see your creations and share it with the online community. Enjoy!