A labour of love that’s truly worth it.
A good lasagna bolognese makes the soul, heart and family happy. A slow cooked rich meat sauce, creamy bechamel lots of cheese and freshly made pasta (even if you use store bought it’s practically still authentic). Great for feeding a family and freezes well for make ahead meals.
Slow cooking has to be one of my favourite methods of cooking, it gives the ingredients a chance to build on flavour and the cooker basically does all the heavy lifting while you sip on some wine.
This lasagna bolognese feeds up to 9 people. If you’re making it for 2 you’ll have plenty lasagna for a week or two.
- 125g Pork Mince
- 500g Beef Mince
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Carrots (Peeled & Diced)
- 1 White Onion (Diced)
- 2 Celery Stalks (Diced)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Purée
- 100ml Dry White Wine
- 800g Tinned Chopped Tomatoes
- 500ml Chicken Stock (Or water)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 250g Pack Fresh Lasagne Sheets
- 150g Parmesan
- 250g Cheddar
- 300g Mozzarella Thinly Sliced
- ½ Tsp Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Handful Fresh Parsley to garnish
For The Béchamel Sauce
- 100gms Butter
- 100gms Flour
- 1ltr Milk
- Salt & Pepper
- 50g Cheddar Cheese Grated (Optional)
- Peel and chop the carrot, onion, celery, garlic then set aside. In a large pot over a medium flame heat olive oil & butter then add in minced pork and beef. Use a spoon to break the meat into smaller chunks. Cook for about 15 mins until meat is well browned, stirring constantly.
- Add in the celery, onion, carrots, garlic and tomato paste then cook for a further 3-5 mins. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and dried oregano. Next deglaze the pan with 100ml white wine,Pour in tinned tomatoes, and chicken stock and 1 bay leaf. Stir well and bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low and simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime make the bechamel sauce : In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium-low heat then add in flour and mix into a smooth paste. Cook the mixture for a minute or so stirring continuously. Pour in a little of the milk at a time, stirring continuously until you have a smooth, slightly thick sauce. Then add the remaining milk and continue to whisk. Remove from the heat; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add back onto the heat and keep whisking. Once the sauce has thickened mix in the cheddar until combined. Set aside to cool.
- Assemble lasagna in a 13 x 9 x 3 inch baking dish : Start with a layer of bechamel sauce in the bottom of the dish. Place 4 lasagna sheets on top. Next add about 1 cup of meat sauce spreading evenly. Sprinkle with about a handful grated cheddar, parmesan, and a few mozzarella slices.
- Repeat the layering process two more times to create three complete layers. For the final layer, place a of meat sauce to cover the pasta, top with remaining white sauce followed by parmesan cheddar and a good helping of mozzarella. Cover loosely with foil paper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes to allow cheese to brown. Once cooked let it cool out of the oven for 10 mins before serving..
Pro Tip make a big batch and freeze individual portions to last you a lifetime.
If you do give this recipe a go be sure to leave me a comment & rating to tell me what you think. Don’t forget to tag me on my socials @dinewithjemutai using the #DinewithJemutai so I can see your creations and share it with the online community. Enjoy!