One of my all time favourite brunch recipes.
This easy shakshuka is perfect for brunch or dinner. If it’s a hearty meal you’re after or just in need of something filling, healthy and full of flavour, this easy shakshuka will have you coming back for seconds. It’s as simple as browning onion in a pan with some olive oil, adding tomatoes, fresh peppers, a pinch of seasoning and finally some gorgeous free range eggs. Essentially the cooker does all the work for you.
I love serving mine with freshly baked bread to mop up all the wonderful juices.
- 6 large ripe tomatoes or 800 gms Tinned tomatoes
- 4-5 Capsicum Peppers (sliced lengthways)
- 2 White Onions (sliced lengthways)
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste (about ¼ Tsp each)
- ½ Tsp Cumin
- 3 Cloves of Garlic (Minced)
- 1 Tbsp Sweet Smoked Paprika
- ½ Tsp Chilli Powder
- 5 Eggs
- 1 Bunch Cilantro
- Preheat oven @180C. Wash tomatoes and peppers then soak the tomatoes in hot simmering water to remove the skin. (Skip this step if using tinned tomatoes)
- Once the skin has split, transfer to an ice bath then carefully remove the skin and set the tomatoes aside. (Skip this step if using tinned tomatoes)
- Heat oil in a skillet or an oven safe pan. Add in sliced onion, cilantro stalks, cumin, salt and pepper. Sauté for 2-3 mins or until onions are fragrant & translucent.
- Add in chopped garlic followed by the sliced peppers & smoked paprika. Cook for 3-4 mins then add in the de-skinned tomatoes.
- Mash the tomatoes with a wooden spoon, stir then season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook for 10 mins on a low-med flame.
- Next create small wells in the sauce and gently crack the eggs into each well. Season the eggs with a pinch of salt then bake in the oven @180C for another 5 mins.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve immediately with your favourite loaf of bread.
- Stove top
- Large Skillet/Heavy duty frying pan
No oven no problem juts cook it on the stove top on low heat covered. If you like a runny yolk bake it for less time then serve with your favourite bread or rice.
If you do give this recipe a go be sure to leave me a comment & rating to tell me what you think. Don’t forget to tag me on my socials @dinewithjemutai using the #DinewithJemutai so I can see your creations and share it with the online community. Enjoy!
Recipe in partnership with Zuchinni GreenGrocers. I love how easy it is to order fresh groceries from the comfort of my own home. Thank you Zuchinni.