Get cosy with this creamy roasted carrot soup. The past few days have been a tad chilly so in light of surviving the rainy season it’s time to make use of that oven. Seasonal veg when roasted with salt pepper, oil and herbs create a great base for any sauce or soup. You can pop them in the oven while you get on with another task or catch up on your favourite tv show.
- 1kg carrots (About 15)
- 2 Red onions
- 4 garlic cloves (smashed with skin on)
- 1tsp Cumin
- Fresh Thyme (About 2 Stems)
- 3 Ripe Tomatoes
- 1 Red bell pepper (halved)
- 600-800 ml water
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminium foil and preheat oven to 180 C. Slice onion into quarters then peel and chop carrots into 1/2 inch chunks. Transfer to a lined baking tray along with the garlic cloves. Drizzle a generous amount of olive oil then season with salt, pepper and cumin. Top with fresh thyme then roast for 30-45 mins turning half way through, until carrots are soft.
- To a blender, add tomatoes, red bell pepper, roasted carrots, roasted garlic (without the skin) and 800 ml water then blend until smooth. Always start on a low speed as you blend the soup, then slowly transition to high and blend until smooth.
- Pour the soup into a sauce pot and simmer for 10 mins before serving. Check for seasoning at this point and adjust to your liking.
- Serve with croutons or your favourite loaf of bread.
If you do give this recipe a go be sure to leave me a comment & rating to tell me what you think. Don’t forget to tag me on my socials @dinewithjemutai using the #DinewithJemutai so I can see your creations and share it with the online community. Enjoy!