Deliciously sweet, easy to make, moist chocolate chip banana bread recipe.
Monday is here and you’ve bought your weekly bunch of bananas for smoothies or general consumption. A few days later life happens and those bananas are no longer vibrant yellow but rather brown, spotty or black. Well guys you know what they say (The darker the berry….the sweeter the juice) So before you chuck them out this chocolate chip banana bread recipe is here to the rescue. Deliciously sweet, easy to make, moist and oozing with chocolate.
I purposefully buy lots of bananas so I’ll have 4 overripe ones ready for my weekend baking activities.
Pro tip: Once your bananas start to go medium brown put them in the fridge to slow down the ripening process then come Sunday (or 2 days later) you’ll have perfectly overripe bananas ready for baking.
*For a gluten free option-simply swap flour to your liking. I use cassava flour by mhogofoods which you can get from Chandarana or Naivas supermarket.
- 55g 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Packed Brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 eggs
- 4 Overripe bananas
- 1/3 Cup Natural yoghurt (vanilla yoghurt works as well)
- 1 1/2 Cups All purpose flour
- 1 Tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp Sea salt
- 100gms Dark Chocolate chunks
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C. Line a 8½ x 4½ inch loaf tin with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang (about 5cm on each side)
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, cinnamon, salt, bicarbonate & baking powder. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer on med-high speed cream together butter, sugar & jaggery for 4 mins until light and fluffy. Scraping down sides of the bowl as needed. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing in between. Next add in vanilla essence, yoghurt & mashed ripe banana, mix to combine.
- Add in the flour mixture & mix on low until just combined. Fold in chocolate chunks then pour batter into prepared loaf tin. Bake for 40-45 mins until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Keep refrigerated in an airtight container or freeze for up to 3 months. To freeze slice the bread and wrap individual slices tightly in a double layer of clingfilm then put in a zip lock bag or airtight container. To defrost unwrap it and put it on a wire rack at room temperature for 20-30mins. Once defrosted store in an airtight container or toast under the grill to warm it up.
If you do give this recipe a go be sure to leave me a comment & rating to tell me what you think. Don’t forget to tag me on my socials @dinewithjemutai using the #DinewithJemutai so I can see your creations and share it with the online community. Enjoy!