It’s a Friday and it’s World International Cocktail Day! This Chili Ginger Mojito is what you get when you mix a classic Mojito with ginger and chilli.
There’s only so much tea and hot chocolate one can drink to keep warm. It gets to a point when you need to turn up but still keep warm. Plus it’s a Friday and its World International Cocktail Day! Turn down for what! So let’s switch things up and have some fun with this Chili Ginger Mojito.
What do you get when you mix a classic Mojito with ginger and chilli?… You get a #Heatwave! See what I did there…. After making a batch of Ginger tea last week, I thought to myself how great would it be to have a spiced cocktail made with fresh ginger tea and chilli.
This cocktail is certainly one to turn up the heat and get all your senses going! Just like a classic Mojito it’s fresh and minty with the right amount of sweetness and acidity. What’s better than that on day like today but best of all it has the power to cure the sniffles and if that’s not a bonus for you, then I don’t know what is.
It’s practically good for you so you can thank me later.
Serves | 2 |
- 1 Lime (Cut in quarters)
- 2 Teaspoons Cane Sugar ( 1tsp per glass)
- Handful fresh mint leaves (About 10 leaves each)
- 1 Red chilli (Sliced in half lengthways. You’ll use one half for garnish, the other goes into the drink)
- Shaved ginger slices (About 3 in each glass)
- 80 ml Chilled Ginger tea ( Per glass)
- 60 ml Vodka (Per glass, about a shot)
- 1 Cup crushed ice plus some regular cubes
- Start by adding a teaspoon of sugar to each glass then add the quartered limes. Thinly slice some fresh ginger and chop half a chilli then add to the glasses. It’s up to you on how strong you want your Heatwave, but of course the more chilli you add the hotter and sexier it will get.
- Gently muddle the ingredients together to squeeze out the lime juice and extract the flavours from the chilli and ginger. Add the mint to the mix then gently muddle one more time. By now you should be enjoying the aroma of the concoction so far.
- Now for the booze, add a shot of vodka to each glass followed by the chilled ginger tea. Give the drinks a stir then finally add crushed ice to chill the drink. Stir until the glass begins to feel cold. Top up with some more ice and garnish with some fresh mint leaves and sliced chilli. (Simply slice the other half of the chilli to make 2).
Tip: The reason we add crushed ice is to help dilute the drink. The combo of chilli, ginger and vodka make it a strong drink so adding lots of ice brings it to a nice level. You can taste all the flavours that go into the drink but it’s not overbearing.
One last thing, don’t forget to say cheers and enjoy your weekend!
P.s: Do drink responsibly and stay safe
If you do give this recipe a go be sure to leave me a comment & rating to tell me what you think. Don’t forget to tag me on my socials @dinewithjemutai using the #DinewithJemutai so I can see your creations and share it with the online community. Enjoy!