A perfect mouthful of caramelised onion, sautéed mushroom, brie and buttery flakey pastry. These cute caramelised onion & mushroom tarts are perfect for entertaining and a great option for any vegetarian guests. (Who eat cheese of course.) Using a 300g sheet of frozen puff pastry they only take 15-20 mins to bake.
I usually stock up on Lyons maid frozen pastry for quick fixes and easy recipes like this. (Tomato &Feta Tarts) We are all about convenience, flexibility and efficiency because you never know when you’ll need to entertain or fix a craving. Plus these caramelised onion & mushroom tarts are bound to convert any non mushroom lover.
- 1 300g Sheet Puff Pastry (thawed according to packet instructions)
- 200gms Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Medium white onions (chopped)
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 125 gms Brie Cheese
- 3 Sprigs Thyme
- 1 Egg (to brush the pastry)
- 1 Tbsp White wine vinegar or white wine
- Preheat oven to 200˚C degrees. Unfold the sheet of puff pastry onto a clean working surface and cut out 3 inch circles. Transfer pastry onto a baking tray then with a small knife, lightly score a border 1/4 inch from edges. Refrigerate for 15 mins
- Heat olive oil on a nonstick frying pan then saute onion until transluscent followed by the mushroom, fresh thyme, salt and pepper.
- As the mushroom begin to brown add in the vinegar, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Take of the heat and set aside.
- Lightly beat 1 large egg and brush the border of each pastry circle. Top the pastry with a tablespoon of the cooked mushroom staying within the border, then top with some brie cheese.
- Bake until tarts are golden brown for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
To make them in advance sauté the veg the day before then assemble and bake 20 mins before you're ready to serve.
If you do give this recipe a go be sure to leave me a comment & rating to tell me what you think. Don’t forget to tag me on my socials @dinewithjemutai using the #DinewithJemutai so I can see your creations and share it with the online community. Enjoy!
Recipe in partnership with Zuchinni GreenGrocers. I love how easy it is to order fresh groceries from the comfort of my own home. Thank you Zuchinni.