These Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies really hit the spot!
We’re talking melt in the mouth, crispy on the outside, soft in the middle kinda cookie business. Topped with flakey sea salt. Then there’s the brown buttaah (butter)..that just adds a delicious nutty flavour which amplifies the cookie flavour to X10!
If you’ve never tried brown butter you’re really missing out! Believe me once I tried it I was making brown butter everything especially for cookies.
I love chopping up my own (Dairyland Dark Compound) chocolate so I can have big pockets of chocolate throughout each cookie.
- 1 cup browned butter (227grams)
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar (Packed)
- 1/4 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Tsp Instant Coffee
- 1 egg
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 & ½ + ¼ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Bicarbonate Soda
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chip Chunks (Dairyland Dark Compound)
- Stand/Hand Mixer/Whisk & Bowl
- Mixing Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 170˚C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- To make brown butter, melt butter in a stainless steel saucepan over medium-high heat, then bring to a boil. Stirring constantly. As the butter boils the milk solids will start to toast, keep stirring until the butter becomes a caramel colour. Take of the heat and pour into a heat proof liquid measuring jug and set aside. The butter needs to cool down to room temperature before it can be used.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt & bi carbonate of soda. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl/ large bowl add the caster sugar, brown sugar, coffee, vanilla & browned butter. Cream together on med-high speed for about 4 mins until light fluffy or resembles caramel
- Transition to a low speed then mix in the egg. Next sift in the flour, mix just to combine then fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Place the cookie dough into a smaller bowl, cover with cling film and chill for 1hr before forming cookie dough balls.
- Using a (3.oz) ice cream scoop, scoop cookie dough onto a lined baking sheet ( 2 inches apart) and bake in a preheated oven for 10 mins at 170 ̊C Cool for 2 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
170-175 ̊C Non Fan 180 ̊C Fan Assisted
While browning the butter be sure to keep stirring to ensure even browning. Once transferred into a measuring jug (glass/metal) add a little water to yield 1 cup. Some liquid may have evaporated during the browning process.