Easy to make apple crumble cinnamon cupcakes
By now you should know i’m big on afternoon tea and dessert. perhaps because most of my early cooking experiences we’re baking treats for 4’oclock tea with my Mum and Aunties. Once a week after school mum and I would bake some treats from old cookery books then sit down and enjoy family tea time. Somehow these apple cinnamon cupcakes remind me of those moments. Spiced with my favourite warm cozy spice, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger they are so fluffy, moist and filled with sweet pink lady apples.
Great for afternoon tea or a cheeky breakfast 🙂
Read more about the pink lady photography competition I entered. Participating in the competition and baking these cupcakes brought me out of a sad place and the best thing it taught me was, never stop doing what you love no matter how tough things get, because the joy created doing what you love makes the world a better place.
- ½ Cup (90g) Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Regular Sugar
- ¾ Cup (180ml) Vegetable oil
- 2 Eggs
- ½ Tsp Vanilla Essence
- Water (150ml)
- 1 ¾ Cup (210g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon Powder
- ¼ Tsp Sea Salt
- 2 Medium apples (110g) thinly diced
- Pinch Nutmeg Freshly Grated
- ½ Tsp Ginger Powder
- 4 tbsp. (30g) flour
- 3 tbsp. (25g) old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 tbsp. (12g) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (1.25ml) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) baking powder
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) butter, melted
- Stand/Hand Mixer/Whisk & Bowl
- Mixing Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Cupcake Baking Tray
- Cupcake Liners 110mm
- Preheat oven to 180 ̊C and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla essence and oil for 2 mins then set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Next add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in thirds gently mixing in between. Add in the water, mix until combined then fold in the chopped apple.
- For the crumble top combine all the dry ingredients add in melted butter and mix until it resembles wet sand.
- Using an 3.oz ice cream scoop equally divide the mixture into a lined cupcake tin then top each cupcake with a about half a tsp of the crumble mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ̊C for 22 mins. Or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tray for 2 mins then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
I used pink lady apples in this recipe because they offer a nice sweet to tart ratio. Feel free to use any apple you like and just keep the dice small.
If you do give this recipe a go be sure to leave me a comment & rating to tell me what you think. Don’t forget to tag me on my socials @dinewithjemutai using the #DinewithJemutai so I can see your creations and share it with the online community. Enjoy!