As the weather gets warmer, homemade roasted tomato soup with fresh garlic, olive oil, roasted onions, peppers and herbs. Accompanied by an awesome grilled cheese melt is definitely one of my favourite comfort food dishes.
Happy Monday Ladies and Gents, this month I’ve been in love with tomatoes so much that I’ve sneaked them into most of my meals. From salsas, salads, breakfast eggs & marinaras. To be completely honest I never enjoyed eating tomatoes or even cooking with them but with time, knowledge and more cooking techniques, I’ve learnt to love them and roasting is currently my favourite way to cook them.
Roasting adds heaps of flavour through caramelisation and maillard browning. Simply put it’s a delicious chemical reaction between proteins and reducing sugars that give food that golden/deep brown glow resulting in sweeter more bodied ingredients and overall flavour.
With the science out the way let’s get to making roasted tomato soup!
- Prep Time 5 Mins
- Baking Time 45 Mins-1hr
- 1 kg Vine Tomatoes (halved)
- 2 Red Onions
- 2 Red Bell Peppers
- 4 Cloves Garlic (Peeled and smashed)
- 1 Tsp Dried or Fresh Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- ½ Tsp Chilli powder
- Big pinch Sea Salt
- Big pinch Black Pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- Half the tomatoes, onion & capsicum peppers, peel and smash garlic cloves then add ingredients to a non stick baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt & pepper, chilli, thyme, balsamic vinegar and sugar. Mix and coat ingredients evenly.
- Bake for 45mins in a preheated oven at 200ºC. Mixing halfway through being careful not to burn the vegetables but simply brown them.
- Add the roasted veg to a blender with 4 cups vegetable/chicken stock and blend. Halfway through add in fresh basil and continue to blend until smooth.
- Once pureed pour the soup into a pot and gently reheat. Check for seasoning at this point and re season as desired.
- Serve straight away with my awesome paprika grilled cheese or your favourite loaf of bread.
Photography by Sylvia Jemutai
Follow me on Instagram/InstaStories @dinewithjemutai to keep up with my cooking experiences.